I’d like a diet soda, and some extra ranch.

It's a weird thing that I have been wondering about since I first started serving, what is the obsession with diet sodas? More specifically, why do people think diet soda will make them lose weight? You see this is the problem with our society when it comes to health, we mistake low in fat for healthy. We are obsessed with diets and eating light, or low in fat. The problem with this is that we feel this gives us the liberty to splurge somewhere else so we end up eating more than ever before. Every day I work I see examples of this, one such example happened just the other day. I introduced myself to the table and when I asked what drinks they would like they were extremely adamant about drinking strictly diet soda. When I brought the sodas to the table they insisted that they were not diets and they forced me to bring another round of drinks. I went to the back to check the soda lines and true enough everything was hooked up right so I brought out another set of drinks to placate them. I figured "ok, they're on a diet, I understand." But when I took their order I was extremely surprised when they ordered the highest in calorie appetizer, salads with extra ranch, and deep-dish pizza (also with extra ranch.) I don't get it, why make such a big deal about having to have diet soda (which I'm sorry, tastes like crap) when you're eating instant heart attack? I mean really man, if you're gonna splurge just go for the gold and enjoy yourself, but don't lie to yourself and think that diet soda gives you a free pass to eat whatever you want, (stepping down from soap box). This same situation happens all the time and I still don't get it, maybe you can enlighten me. It sure can be confusing when you're living, in the weeds.

7 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

LOL!!! You make me laugh! The only difference is that one has less sugar. Neither of them are really good for you. I just don't get these people who think that they are doing their bodies a favour. Maybe they are just thinking that because they drink diet soda it's just a little bit less guilt to carry around! We all know that they are eating a heart attack on a plate by eating less of the saturated stuff. I reckon that it's just a craze! It's like all the Celebs that carry bottles of water around as a fashion accessories!
I know that I don't drink alcohol, but that is because I don't like the dizzy bed feeling when I've had too much, and I only drink mineral water. These people spend fortunes on things like High Blood Pressure Monitors and Cholesterol Counters! Someone must be making the money from these things...and I bet it's the Pharmaceutical Companies!
All Soda's are basically the same. It's only to stop the customers from having a guilt trip...or sugar rush!
How are you doing, anyway? I've not heard from you in a while!

Mignon said...

Oh bug, people are strange.

wandering mind said...

I guess ya gotta think that doing something is better than doing nothing. If there were such a thing as psychological Olympics, self-delusion would surely be an event. Puts me in mind of some ladies I saw out "power walking," at least that is what they were dressed for. They were strolling along at a leisurely pace and SMOKING! Yeah, they were "exercising!" Healthy, right?

Alice in Wonderland said...

Wandering Mind,
That really cracked me up! LOL!!!

Bruce said...

It is surprising how we all fool ourselves into thinking we have much healthier habits than we reallydo. Hey alice, Sorry I haven't been on in a while, how have ya been?

Alice in Wonderland said...

Hi Bruce, How are you doing? I'm still hobbling along quite nicely, thank you!
I'll still not make the half marathon this year though, so I guess that I'm pretty bummed out at that!

Anonymous said...

Could they have been diabetic? Thats why I order diet pop but still have a good meal (with extra ranch)