The Cougar's Cry




When I started out this blog I figured there would be more stories regarding the hardships of working in the restaurant business, but a recent occurrence has shifted me into a different direction and I can’t help but share this with you.  And to clarify, no there was not a large cat rampaging through the booths and tables, things have yet to get that exciting.  What really happened is far more entertaining I assure you.  We all know I’m sure, of the term cougar in regards to women past the age of 45-50 who are very attractive.  Well a “Cougar” happened to make a rather blunt pass at one of my co-workers just the other night and I’ll take you through what happened as I heard it.
 It was a busy Friday night as always, and we were on a 30 minute wait.  Everything was going smooth, food was coming out on time and everyone was rather pleasant.  We had a full staff of 11 servers, 4 host(ess)’s, and a stacked kitchen.  3 managers running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and a number of large parties, one in particular had our rather wily predator.  I happened to be taking care of them, all rather pleasant and left a very generous tip.  But the most interesting part happened on their way out.  I walked up to the host stand to say my thanks as they left and to check on what open tables had and she stopped to talk with a young host friend of mine, and here’s what I heard, 
Host: Thanks for coming in guy’s, have a great night.
Cougar: Excuse me, what is your name?
Host: Umm, I’m sorry?
Cougar: Your name?
Host: Oh, um Michael, sorry, my name is Michael.
Cougar: Uh huh, and how old are you?
Host: I’m 19, uh is there anything wrong ma'm?
Cougar: No, quite the opposite actually, can I say, oh gosh I don’t ever do this kind of thing but you are one of the most attractive young men I have ever seen and I would totally go cougar for you.
Now I would write what he said next but it was nothing but an incomprehensible series of ums and choked on responses and before he could actually collect himself she stopped him. Also keep in mind that this is one of the most innocent guys I have ever met which makes this even funnier.
Cougar: Look, I’m not looking for a response now but I am leaving town in a week and I figured I’d try. 
                She handed him her number that had been hurriedly scribbled on a scrap piece of paper.
Host: Mam, I’m not sure if I can accept this.
Cougar: Just take it and think about it, there’s a lot I could teach you.
                And with that last comment she left the restaurant and drove away, her face flushed on the way out. Of course the look on his face was the best part of the whole situation which was a blend of disbelief, shock, and excitement.  Etched across his face was also the thought of what might happen if he did call.  Well anyway, I hope this little story is as entertaining to you as it is to me, as this is just one more example of living, in the weeds.
                Also, I apologize to anyone who might be offended by the term “cougar.”  I use it only because it was used in the situation and mean no disrespect by it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha great story. These parts made me laugh especially.

" you are one of the most attractive young men I have ever seen and I would totally go cougar for you."

"Just take it and think about it, there’s a lot I could teach you."

wandering mind said...

Hahahaha! So, what is the upper age for "cougardom"? I think I am past it, but I did spend 30 years teaching high school, and I can just see the expression on the poor guy's face. Poor babies are so ill-equipped to deal with wicked women.... Saw your comment on "No Telling". I too recently started blogging at http://okruralperson.blogspot.com.
Come see what life is like for a couple of old poops in Nowhere, Oklahoma!

Mrs Pretzel said...

WTH!?!? I'm a freaking COUGAR?!? I had no idea we were starting cougars so YOUNG. lol I thought they were 45-50!! As in Demi Moore and such... Thanks for stopping by my blog today!! Welcome to blogging!! Keep up the good story telling!!

Mrs Pretzel said...

lol thanks for coming over to make an old gal feel better!! :P

Ms. Bake-it said...

I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I am a little behind the times as I have only recently heard the term "Cougar" and what it meant. I can just imagine the look on your colleague's face! Great story! I like your writing style.

Bruce said...

Thanks everyone for leaving comments. I've already talked with a couple of you and I agree that "cougardom" is more in the 45-50 range. And yes this was quite the interesting situation. Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Bruce said...

Ms. Bake it, thanks for the comment, I tried to see your profile and wanted to see your blog. If you could I'd like to visit it. Also, thank you for the compliments, I have always been a little hesitant to show my writing and only recently started writing in a semi-public arena.