Don't Judge a book by it's cover.



Yes I know it’s been used a million times but it truly is a fitting title.  As a restaurant worker I can admit that we as a group can be highly judgmental which I hate but it almost becomes second nature, I have certainly learned my lesson.  The other day was a ssssllloooowwww day, and I mean it.  I was making little to no money and I was cranky because it was raining out and my car’s windshield wipers seemed to have gone kaput.  Just as I was feeling my worst I got my second table of the day after being at work for close to two hours.  It was an elderly gentleman which in server’s terms usually means no money.  So I went into the situation with entirely the wrong mindset and took his order, brought out his food, refilled his drinks, all very routine and made no attempt to give “great” service.  When it came time to pay he asked for a pen but made no motion for a card, so instantly I thought “great, now I’m gonna get a complaint.”  I come back to the table a few minutes later and the man had left, the checkbook was on the table and the remnants of his meal had been stacked up for me already.  Begrudgingly I opened up the book to see what was there, and what I saw blew me away.  Inside the man had left a note and I will share with you what he expressed to me,
            
“It seemed like you were having a bad day.  With it being so slow I don’t really blame you.  Here is something that will hopefully brighten up your day.” 

My heart swelled, because not only did he leave a sweet note but he had left a hundred dollar bill on a sixteen dollar check.  I literally had to sit down and once I got over the euphoria of being close to a hundred dollars richer I realized the shame of my situation.  I felt so bad that I had been such a hypocrite and judged the man so harshly.  So here is the obvious lesson, don’t judge a book by its cover because you never know what lay just beneath the surface, in this instance, a heart of gold.  So mystery man thank you for this life lesson and hopefully I will be able to brighten an other’s day as you did for me.  Life sure can be inspiring when your living, in the weeds.

3 comments:

Wandering Mind said...

Great story! Folks seem to come along when ya need 'em, don't they? Working with the general public does have its moments. It has made me much more aware of how pleasant I am to employees of other businesses. Sometimes ya have to be snippy and even sarcastic to high school students when you teach or they'll eat you alive. Working now with the public has made me exercise more self control and become more aware of how I treat others. Thanks for becoming a follower! So, tit for tat, I'll follow you!

Krista Armentrout said...

People surprise you all the time when you least expect it. I'm excited I happened upon your blog! Hopefully it will let me retreat into reverie whenever I need a break from schoolwork :-) miss you!

Bruce said...

Thanks for following my blog wander. Hey Krista, its great hearing from ya. hope to see you soon.