Whoa, are those real?


Yes, it’s exactly like it sounds, well kinda.  Maybe I should start at the beginning. It was a normal Wednesday night shift, kind of slow but busy in spurts, and I was working with my good friend who we’ll call Ally.  “Ally” is a beautiful young African-American woman who happens to be, well…. very blessed in the chest area to put it lightly and when she wears our uniform it makes it even worse (this is important in just a bit).  To set up the rest of the story I also have to mention that at the back of the restaurant we have a rather impressive display stand with many vintage products.  At the bottom of the display is a set up with varying types of produce that are free to take if it behooves the guest.  So as the night went along, business began to slow down and only a few tables trickled in after 9 o’clock.  One such party (a husband and wife) sat at a table in “Ally’s” section facing the back display and here is what happened,

Ally: Hello, my name is Ally and I’ll be taking care of you tonight what can I get you all to drink?

Wife: I’ll take water with lemon please.

Ally scribbled down her drink order.

Ally: And for you sir?

The Husband looked up for the first time and looked surprised commenting “Whoa are those real?” With that his wife slapped him in the chest and Ama’s jaw dropped nervously asking “excuse me?”  The man looks back and forth and is so choked up he’s unable to explain himself.  Throughout this his wife starts chastising him repeatedly and leaves him stammering in his seat.  He chases her out of the restaurant and comes back in about five minutes later and comes to explain himself to my friend,

Husband: Ma’am I am very sorry, there seems to be quite a mix up.

She looked at him skeptically as he tried to clarify what happened.

Ally: Ok, go ahead.

Husband: Well when I made the comment I did I saw the vegetables you had at your display and wondered if they were real or not.

Ally: haha, ok wow.  I didn’t even think of that. Ok apology accepted.

After that they shared a few laughs and he commented about how he just hoped his wife would believe him.  Now I’m not sure if he was telling the truth but I guess that’s for all of us to decide.  I of course was only a casual observer and was filled in on what exactly happened through her a few minutes after it all happened.  Anyway that’s all for now, it sure is crazy living in the weeds.

2 comments:

wandering mind said...

That's his story and he's stickin' to it, but I'm thinkin' your friend knew where the guy was looking. Sight lines are everything. A million stories in the naked city, huh? Have someone a few decades older explain that reference for ya.

Bruce said...

I'm thinking it means that no matter where you go, there will always be some type of interesting situation or event going on. Let me know if I came close.